Not only is Zurich beautiful and full schlüsseldienst münster of culture – it is also one of the safest cities in the world. Just a shame it’s not one of the cheapest! Still, you don’t need to break the bank if the Zurich is your holiday destination: here is a top ten mix of popular attractions and lesser known treasures to get you into the Swiss spirit!
1) Go to church: some of Zurich’s most beautiful attractions are its churches. The top three are Grossmünster, Fraumünster and St Peter. For history buffs, Grossmünster was where great reformer, Zwingli, was pastor. Fraumünster is famed for its incredible Marc Chagall stained-glass windows, and St Peter boasts the largest church clock face in the world.
2) Get artsy: even if you’re not a huge art fan, the Kunsthaus Zürich is definitely worth a visit. It has one of the largest collections of Classic Modern Art in the world, including words by Munch, Picasso, Braque and Giacometti.
3) Go window shopping: on the Bahnhof Strasse. This street is one of the most exclusive and expensive in Zürich, so perhaps use your imagination more than your wallet. Pretty architecture and sights such as the Rennweg and Paradeplatz along the way makes Bahnhof Strasse a great spot.
4) Lindenhof: Offering one of the best views of the Limmat and Zurich’s east side, the Lindenhof is a green oasis in the old historic district and a popular tourist destination. But that doesn’t stop the locals from coming up here with a bottle of champagne and a few plastic cups and waiting for the sun to go down casting a magical glow on the city…
5) Rote Fabrik: one of the biggest cultural centres in Zurich, the Rote Fabrik (red factory) is a hub for concerts, parties and festivals. Much of the music is ‘indie’ or non-mainstream is nature, and there is also a theatre, bar and restaurant. Additionally, it is located right near the lake…which is nice.
6) Go Swiss: at the Johanniter Brasserie. A favourite among locals, this restaurant is famed for its seasonal produce and generous portions. Serving up traditional Swiss meals, this is one you just don’t want to miss.
7) Get your feet wet: at the Barfussbar (barefoot bar!), Frauenbad. A perfect spot for summer evenings, order yourself a drink, kick off your shoes and enjoy the view over the river and city beyond while dipping your toes in the water. Heavenly!
8) Drink in some culture: Maiers Theatre is just off-centre in Zurich and as famed for its varied programme: comedy, cabaret, plays, bands, solo artists, dance performances, choirs and so on, along with improv theatres and singalong-performances! If you need a stiff drink after all that, good news, because there’s also a bar!
9) See what what you can see: the Zurich See is a stunning lake, framed by wood and mountains. Easily accessible from the city, why not simply take a stroll through this fantastic scenery?
10) And finally: finish of your trip with a relaxing trip to Balthazar Cafe and acquaint yourself with the pleasures of the famous Swiss apple strudel (don’t skimp on the sauce!) and hot chocolate. A delicious send off!